Not even fools

A highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Holy Way;

… no traveler, not even fools, shall go astray.

(from Isaiah 35:8)

We invite you to spend time in contemplation with this excerpt from Isaiah 35:8. (This is one that I like to take with me while making and walking labyrinth paths.) Then join in the conversation with your own poetic response.

Comments

1. dandelion puff
    this God must be a fool
    for yellow

2. joe proctor says:

dancing the rumba
    yellow roses having fun
    fueled by a breeze

two robins
    raise the question
    run or fly

• Hi Joe — I like the way “dancing the rumba” goes with my poem, “dandelion puff.” They have a similar feeling to my ears — a feeling of the liveliness of life.

“two robins” is a bit mysterious — not sure what’s going on there. Is the question raised in the poet’s mind, or the robins’? That is, is the poet looking at the two robins and wondering whether it’s better to run (like humans can do) or fly (like robins)? Or is it one robin running, and the other flying? I can’t quite picture the moment.

• joe proctor says:

I was in the back yard recently where I seem to write most of my Haiku and I observed two robins being stalked by a cat and from the birds point of view they had a decision to make: run or fly and that’s the background of the poem. Thanks for allowing me the platform to explain it.

Joe

• backyard drama:
          when the cat enters, two robins choose–
          run or fly?

Well … my middle line is kinda long … and I’m not crazy about “choose.” I want the backyard setting, and also your idea of the question being raised. Not entirely successful. But I like the moment very much … enjoy playing with it. Hope you don’t mind — & thanks for the exercise. If you want to keep working on the poem, maybe that will spark an idea for you to pursue.

3. Barbara Gibson says:

where is this Holy
    Way the prophet speaks of?
    this fool needs a map

how easily I go
    astray. but isn’t any
    road holy to someone?

show me the highway —
    holy or not I’ll take it —
    I want out of here!

4. Barbara Gibson says:

Thanks so much for this, Margaret.

• You’re welcome, Barbara. How wonderful to hear your voice & humor in these poems. (I really can hear your voice!) Have been thinking of you. Love the way your threesome ends — on the road!

5. James Irving Mann says:

an ugly weed patch-
    holy ground for butterflies
    (laughter of children)

6. Sharon Nowicki says:

Shades of gray
    artistry in the sand
    shaped by the sea

• Sharon Nowicki says:

I was on the beach last weekend and saw amazing designs in the sand as the tiny remaining rivulets of water made it’s way back to the sea as the surf receded.

• Yes, I can picture the patterns in texture & shading in your poem.

Many years ago when I moved from Ohio to the Pacific Northwest, it was a revelation to discover just how many shades of gray there can be … and the subtle beauty of layers of gray in the sky, beach, and water.

7. Sharon Nowicki says:

Gentle mare and me
    Bareback along the river
    Path to freedom pure

• Sharon, I especially like your middle line, “Bareback along the river.” That image is full of life.

• Sharon Nowicki says:

I feel full of life on horseback again. Especailly bareback makes me feel like the horse and I meld which is really feeling one with nature.

Sunset contrail shows
    air’s path above sea-mist’s trail –
    both ways are holy

The back-story:
    An hour ago I was sitting on our roof terrace on Amorgos just after the sunset. Mist was hiding the other islands – you could not see a clear way to them, and yet both modern and ancient mariners knew how to sail safely to other harbors. Then, bright in the afterglow, a jet’s contrail appeared. I, who honor the old ways, couldn’t be here were it not for modern modes of travel. Suddenly it hit me – God – the Spirit of Life – the Ground of Being does not favor any way over any other way. Each is holy if we treat it so. And it doesn’t matter if I’m wise or a fool – both ways are there for me.

• Hi Brad — in your back-story, the sentence “Each one is holy if we treat it so” is sticking with me. If I apply that to modes of transportation, then I wonder if actually “treating them as holy” might speak to some of the ecological problems we’re facing?

Oh, yes! Where one has individual control one can choose practical ways to honor that holiness (solar panels on the roof that shrink the carbon footprint created by heating the house with propane). When it comes to passenger aircraft an individual can explore ways to work with others toward honoring that holiness. For me that does not mean getting rid of the airplanes. And it has come to mean seeing those who travel with me as deserving my respect and, when necessary, tolerance.

And how wonderful to have this place to say these things – a place holy in itself!